Langlands Road, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 8BN

Line-up- Kirkcaldy & Dysart

1. Dion Gear
2. Ryan McGowan
3. Callum Hannah
5. Ryan McEwan
6. Scott Orrock (captain)
7. Craig Brand
8. Tyler McKenzie
9. Jack Wilson
10. Owen Andrew
11. Jay Watson
16. Mark Wilkie
21. Connor Auchterlonie – replaced Dion Gear 18 mins
4. Lewis Anderson – replaced Tyler McKenzie 74 mins
20. Kieran Dall – replaced Owen Andrew 74 mins
7. Stevie Jefferies – replaced Jay Watson 81 mins

Line-up- St Andrews United

1. Calum Brodie
20. Lewis Grant
2. Tom Milne
4. Scott Reekie (captain)
15. Ryan Suttie
10. Kyle Sneddon
21. Micheil Russell Smith
6. Ryan McManus
16. James Collins
11. Ross Cunningham
14. Ryan Dignan
9. Jordan Mackenzie – replaced Micheil Russell Smith 46 mins
18. Cameron Greenhill – replaced Lewis Grant 46 mins
22. Craig Simpson – replaced James Collins 69 mins

St Andrews United recorded a fantastic victory at Kirkcaldy despite missing key players such as Lewis Sawers, Graham Hay, Carter Kelly, Reece Redpath and Ryan Roche.  Unfortunately, the opening stages of the contest were not particularly entertaining because the two teams were fairly evenly matched.  However, the first chance of the night fell to former Saint Craig Brand when he narrowly curled the ball over Calum Brodie’s crossbar then Ryan Dignan missed the target at the other end of the park.  Scott Reekie also went close to scoring with a header for St Andrews but chances were few and far between throughout the first half.  Indeed, the first major talking point of the evening came in the 18th minute when Micheil Russell Smith ran into home goalkeeper Dion Gear whilst the pair were challenging for a loose ball.  The goalie got to the ball first yet he sustained a bad knock upon clashing with Russell Smith because the midfielder was unable to slow down and avoid a collision.  The referee judged the incident to be accidental so only issued Russell Smith with a yellow card, which looked like the correct call, though the home fans amongst the large crowd were screaming for a red card.  Some of the ‘YM’ players were also looking for a red card to be issued but they weren’t complaining when Owen Andrew put Kirkcaldy ahead in the 45th minute.  Ryan McGowan made a good run down the left wing prior to finding Andrew near the penalty spot and the blonde-haired striker beat Brodie with a powerful drive high into the net.  Kirkcaldy and Dysart therefore led at the interval and the home team began the second half strongly as they went in search of a second goal.  Former St Andrews United players Jack Wilson, Callum Hannah, Scott Orrock and the impressive Andrew all caused the visiting defence problems with solo runs and efforts from distance yet Brodie didn’t have to make any further saves of note.  United manager Robbie Raeside also made two telling substitutions at the start of the second half with Jordan Mackenzie and Cammy Greenhilll replacing Lewis Grant and Russell Smith respectively.  Saints thus began to dominate proceedings thereafter and the away side created chances through Mackenzie and Greenhill before Craig Simpson equalised in the 70th minute.  The sturdy striker had only just stepped off the bench to replace James Collins when he found the net from close-range by converting a great cross by Greenhill.  The scorer then turned provider six minutes later when he made a surging run down the left wing prior to spotting Dignan on the penalty spot.  The popular striker made a lung-bursting run to get into that position but the man known as ‘Ziggy’ made no mistake with his finish to give Saints the lead.  Dignan subsequently found himself in another shooting position as the next serious attack unfolded yet his shot was blocked by the Kirkcaldy defence.  However, the ball broke nicely at the feet of Simpson and the alert striker promptly blasted the ball past substitute goalkeeper Connor Auchterlonie in the 83rd minute.  That goal gave the visitors a chance to relax a little as the clock wound down, though the referee was kept busy during the closing stages as the tackles began to fly.  Eight players consequently collected yellow cards but there were no further talking points.  The last chance of the game then fell to Kieran Dall as he shot well over Brodie’s bar and the final whistle sounded a few seconds later to herald a fine win for St Andrews United.

-Donald Gellatly